Usage of Nuts in Reversal
Firstly, diabetes can be reversed!! Yes. The main factor resulting in diabetes is Insulin Resistance. Insulin resistance is mainly caused because of acid and inflammation present in our bodies.
In this article, we are going to study mainly almonds and walnuts which we are going to use typically in reversal. As compared to peanuts, pista, cashew, hazelnuts and brazil nuts, almonds and walnuts have more alkanility. So they are very helpful in the process of reversal and are largely used for the same as they help in reducing acidity and inflammation in our body. To reduce Insulin resistance we need to reduce acid and inflammation.
Health benefits of nuts:
1) Nuts are nutrient-dense food rich in fats and protein.
2) They contain high-quality vegetable protein, unsaturated fatty acids, dietary fiber, phytosterols, and phenolic compounds.
3) They also contain vitamins like tocopherols, folic acid, niacin, B6 and minerals like calcium and magnesium.
4) Having them significantly reduces the incidence of heart disease, hypertension, cancer, inflammation.
5) They are very good for blood circulation.
6) Having nuts in a controlled proportion can help with diabetes and insulin sensitivity.
In a life that is quite stressful and active, there are a lot of free radicals and oxidative stress which produces a lot of inflammation. So to counteract this, nuts are very good. The most important point when talking about the usage of nuts is most of people miss to soak them. Now, why is it important to soak them?
Why soak nuts?
1. Nuts have phytic acid which binds to the minerals in the gastrointestinal tract thus hampering the absorption of minerals. By soaking nuts you break down the phytic acid so that minerals can be easily absorbed.
2. Nuts also have high amounts of enzyme inhibitors making it hard to digest. Soaking nuts can neutralize the enzymes allowing its proper digestion. Brown peel of almond contains tannin which can inhibit nutrient absorption. Hence soak them, remove the peel and have them. Do not expose the peeled nuts for a long period of time is the only thing one has to keep in mind.
How much time to soak?
Soak nuts for 7 hours or overnight with salt and water. Water will increase the bioavailability of many nutrients especially B-vitamins. Salt helps activate enzymes that deactivate the enzyme inhibitors present in the nuts.
The ideal time for consumption:
An ideal time for nut consumption is evening because evening is the time when you consume an unhealthy snacks. Instead of munching something unhealthy one can have nuts. Soaked nuts work as a good hunger suppressant and also have low GI.
How much quantity to eat?
4-5 soaked almonds and 2 soaked walnuts
8 cashew nuts once in a week
8-10 pistachios once in 10 days
10-15 soaked peanuts twice in a week