Diabetes friendly: Banana stem kadhi recipe
Banana is the world's most popular fruit that is not only perennial but easily available and affordable. The most interesting part is that the entire plant is packed with health-boosting enzymes, vitamins and minerals.
Can we eat banana stem?
Banana stems are edible and tasty
What is banana stem good for?
Banana stems are high in fiber and high in vitamin B6 and potassium that helps in production of insulin much helpful in diabetes.
Here is a beautiful banana stem recipe to relish
|Preparation time||15-20 minutes|
This recipe is 100% vegan and diabetes-friendly.
- Banana stem
- Grated coconut
- Vegan buttermilk/Lemon juice
- Gree chillies
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds
- Methi seeds
- Curry leaves
- Dried red chillies
1. Cleaning and chopping of the banana stem -
- Remove the outer rings of the stem till there are no more rings seen in the cross section.
- Cut the stem into thin disks. Remove the fibers between the disks by one of your fingers. Small fiber bits will remain and that is what will make the dish extremely healthy.
- Slice the disks into smaller pieces and immerse the same in vegan butter milk/lemon juice and water mixture as this will preserve the original colour of the stem.
2. Boil the chopped stems with a little water, turmeric and salt. Cook for just 8-10 minutes.
3. In a mixer, grind the grated coconut, jeera and green chillies to a fine paste and add it to the boiled stem mixture. Continue cooking the mixture until the raw taste of coconut goes away.
4. Beat the vegan curd (do not add water) in a mixture so that it turns into buttermilk. Add the buttermilk to the boiling mixture and turn off the stove.
5. For garnish, heat oil and let the mustard seeds splutter. Add the methi seeds, curry leaves and dried red chillies.
6. Add the garnish and mix well.
7. Banana stem kadhi is ready to serve.
Understanding food and making the most of its properties is the real key to health. Definitely try this banana stem kadhi and let us know your feedback.
Freedom from Diabetes recipe section has a collection of such diabetes-friendly recipes. Do visit our recipe section https://www.freedomfromdiabetes.org/blog/recipes
Looking for other healthy Diabetes-friendly Recipes? Try these:
1. Thai soup recipe
2. Sol kadhi recipe