DIABETES REVERSAL DRINK - SMOOTHIE
1) Smoothie is made of green leafy vegetables, fruits and anti-diabetic spices. (Refer FFD manual for recipe)
2) Cooking food significantly diminishes the number of nutrients – vitamins, minerals, protein, fats and other lesser known phytonutrients (flavonoids, carotenoids, and alkaloids).
3) Flavonoids typically inhibit platelet accumulation and attachment, inhibit LDL oxidation, anti-inflammatory. Carotenoids are mostly responsible for lowering cholesterol and providing protection from cancer.
4) Phytochemicals present in smoothie have an anti-oxidative effect which assists in the prevention of tissue damage caused by free radicals by destroying them or inhibiting their formation.
5) Furthermore, high fibre foods help in reducing stomach problems by slowing digestion process and provide a lasting feeling of fullness, promote regularity and help control insulin levels.
6) Unlike other micro and macronutrients, there is no recommended upper limit for dietary fibre, with the only adverse effect of overconsumption being some intestinal discomfort.
7) Thyroid patients and those having high uric acid should avoid spinach as a major green in their smoothie as it has a goitrogenic effect and high in purein content.
8) Patients having kidney stone should go for modified smoothie.
9) The World Health Organization (WHO) and the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations encourage the consumption of fruits and vegetables to meet necessary fibre requirements in order to gain the health protective benefits of dietary fibre.
RECOMMENDED SMOOTHIE FOR KIDNEY STONE PATIENTS (NO GREEN LEAVY VEGETABLE)
•½ to 1 cup ANY OF THESE - bottle gourd/ cucumber/ white pumpkin
•1 fruit (Apple or Guava or Pear)
•Minor greens any 2 like mint 5-6 leaves, Tulsi 5-6 leaves, Curry 5-6 leaves, Coriander 5-6 leaves
•Betel leaf 1
•Black pepper powder + cinnamon powder & salt to taste