Metabolism, the process by which your body converts food into energy, leaves behind a residue known as ash. Depending on your diet this residue can be either acidic ash or alkaline ash, i.e. it makes your blood more acidic or more alkaline.
Acidic ash makes you vulnerable to illness and disease, whereas alkaline ash is considered protective.
Consumption of acidic foods; especially tobacco, coffee, tea, and alcohol has an acidifying effect on the body. Stress also plays an important role in acidification.
That is not to say that acidification is all bad; your body needs acidity for digestion—with a pH level of 1.35 to 3.5, your stomach has the highest acidity level in the body. Acidity also protects against opportunistic microbial organisms and prevents mucosal injury.
On the other hand, high acidification in your body—known as acidosis—increases susceptibility to insulin resistance, high blood pressure, low bone density, and many other health issues.
If you’ve ever sucked on a Gelusil to soothe heartburn after a particularly hearty or greasy meal, you’ve experienced the positive effect of alkalinity. But since it’s not possible, or at least advisable, to make antacids a daily dietary addition, the easiest, and most natural way to bring down acidity is through a diet rich in alkaline foods.
Changes in your diet can restore acid-alkaline balance and deliver powerful improvements to your health. Simply by adding fruits and vegetables, for instance, you will improve your body’s Potassium: Sodium ratio. This will reduce the risk from hypertension and stroke, improve bone health, and reduce muscle loss.
Raising Alkalinity—The FFD Way
1) Add cooked vegetables or raw vegetables to every meal
2) Have a Super Smoothie - Our special super smoothie has repeatedly proven to be a life-saver. It’s the no-fuss way to turn your body alkaline while taking in phytochemicals, which reduce inflammation, and adding micronutrients essential for good health. (you can learn more about this special drink here)
3) Incorporate plant-based food like grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables.
4) Avoid milk and milk products as well as animal food as they are acidic and create harmful metabolites.
5) Go nuts with almonds, walnuts, pecan nuts, brazil nuts, hazelnuts. Not only are nuts nutrient-dense, they also help in reducing acidity and inflammation in the body, effectively improving insulin sensitivity. But remember to soak the nuts for at least 4 hours and peel off the skin before eating. This increases the bioavailability of its nutrients.
Remember, everything you eat affects the pH balance of your body, either raising its acidity or alkalinity. So, develop an awareness of your diet; infuse it with alkalinity-enhancing foods; and enjoy great health.
Eat right, stay fit.