Sol Kadhi Recipe | Home Made kokum Kadhi | Authentic Sol kadi
Sol kadhi Recipe is truly the 'The Soul Kadhi' as it really satisfies the soul. it is one type of drink that originated from the Indian subcontinent.
It is also called an appetizer and is usually had with rice or sometimes drunk along with or after the meals. This drink is largely popular in Maharashtra's coastal region (Konkan) and Goa.
What is SolKadhi made of?
Solkadhi is prepared from coconut milk and kokum ( aamsul) which is the dried fleshy skin of Garcinia indica plus some spices to add flavor. The classic deep purple-pink color is due to the pigments present in kokum.
We all are well aware that the number of diabetics is increasing day by day and hence, we are forced to think in relation to it. Whenever we think of various drinks, the immediate question that comes up is whether diabetics can have it or not.
Is Solkadhi good for diabetes?
Freedom from diabetes, the diabetes reversal specialist organization, recommends diabetics to have sol kadhi for the following reasons.
- It has the ability to act as a cooling agent which is useful for diabetics. Plus the refreshing taste adds to the flavor and makes you feel light.
- It helps in improving digestion too. It not only cleanses your system but also helps in relieving all kinds of digestive problems.
- This Recipe drink helps in symptoms of heartburn, indigestion, gas, cramps, constipation, diarrhea, abdominal pain.
- Helps in the absorption of food.
- It detoxifies our body effectively.
- It accelerates our metabolism and helps in weight loss too.
It contains sodium, fats, potassium, carbohydrates, sugar, dietary fibers, calcium, iron, magnesium, niacin, zinc, selenium, phosphorus, and Vitamin A. it is a rich source of calcium and iron.
|Cuisine||Indian (Konkan, Maharashtra)|
|Preparation Time||15-20 min|
|Cooking time||0 min|
Let us see how to make Solkadhi?
The recipe for solkadhi is as follows -
Sol kadhi recipe Ingredients:
- 6- 8 Kokum or Aamsol
- 1 Cup of Coconut (Freshly grated)
- 1 Cup of Hot Water
- 1 Tsp of Ginger or 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- A Pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
- Rock Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing.
Method of Sol Kadhi Recipe:
- Soak the kokum in about 3/4th cup water adding the hing and salt.
- Keep aside for 3-4 hours.
- Grind the grated coconut, garlic, and chilies together with little water in a blender or mixer.
- When it grinds to a thick paste-like texture, squeeze the 'vegan milk' out of the paste and keep it aside.
- Add another ¾ cup of water to the dry remains and run the mixer again for a minute or so.
- Again extract the vegan milk - adding to the original extract.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times till basically all the 'milk' gets extracted from the coconut.
- This process can be repeated a couple of times, but bear in mind that the vegan milk gets thinner with every consecutive extraction.
- Discard the kokum from the water
- Add the coconut milk mixture to the kokum water.
- mix well to get a creamy pink-colored sol kadhi.
- Taste it and adjust seasoning as required.
- Keep aside for an hour or more.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve chilled.
It is important to let the recipe rest for at least an hour before you consume it. Remember to stir the Kadhi every time you serve it - the coconut extract tends to rise to the top when the kadhi is left untouched for a bit!
Thus Solkadhi is definitely a diabetes-friendly drink. It is not only nutritious but refreshing at the same time! For more diabetes-friendly recipes, do visit our recipe blog section.
Each diabetic is different and needs to be treated according to his/her needs. FFD has a dedicated team of experts who are well equipped to give you customized treatment. Enroll in our Discover Reversal Session and see how customized Diabetes treatment makes the difference!
Looking for other healthy Diabetes-friendly Recipes? Try these: