Pahari Madra- Dish from Himachal Pradesh
Variety is the spice of Life! The same applies to food too! You cannot eat the same kind of food all the time. You need variety.
How can we get variety in our food?
What we can do here is try out foods from other regions. Each region has its own variety of dishes with unique taste and nutritional properties. Himachal pradesh too has one such dish named Madra.
What is Madra? or What is pahari madra?
Madra is originally a dish from Chamba district of Himachal Pradesh. It primarily consists of chickpeas cooked in yogurt gravy. It also consists of spices like cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, turmeric powder to add taste.. This dish represents the food culture of Himachal Pradesh. Since it is from Himachal, this dish is also called 'Pahari Madra'.
Can diabetics eat Pahari Madra?
The chief ingredients of this dish are chickepeas and yogurt. Chickpeas are anytime good for diabetics, but yogurt is not suitable in the initial stages of Diabetes Reversal. Yogurt is made from milk and there is a risk of IGF factor in it.
Today, we are going to learn how to prepare Pahari Madra - in FFD style, all good for diabetics.
This Madra Recipe has not only the goodness of chickpeas but also is prepared in vegan curd which makes it diabetes-friendly.
|Preparation time||30 mins|
|Cooking time||15 mins|
Here is the recipe of Chana Madra/Pahari Madra/ Chickpeas in yogurt based gravy
- 1 ½ Cup of any 1 Bean variety - Chick Peas/Garbanzo Beans (Kabuli Chana) or Red Kidney Beans (Rajma) or Raungi (Black Eyed Beans)
- 3 Cups Beaten Vegan Curd
- 1 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1-2 Bay Leaf (Tejpatta)
- 2 Black Cardamom (Badi/moti elaichi)
- 2-3 Green Cardamom (Chhoti/hari elaichi)
- 1 Tsp Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
- 1-1 ½ Inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 1-2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Pinch of Stevia Powder
- Salt to taste
- Dry Fruits: Almonds, Grated Coconut, Raisins
- Wash & soak the beans overnight in water.
- Preferably use Garbanzo Beans (kabuli chana) or kidney beans (rajmaha) as they make the best Madra.
- When the beans are well soaked & nice & plump, put them in the pressure cooker, add salt & boil for 30 mins.
- In a thick bottomed pan, add coconut oil and upon heating, add in the black & green cardamoms, bay leaf, cinnamon & saunf.
- As soon as the spices start spluttering, add in the turmeric powder.
- Stir for a few seconds then quickly add in the beaten vegan curd.
- The vegan curd with the masala, till the mixture leaves the oil (the oil separates).
It is very important to keep on briskly stirring the mix or else the curd will curdle & the dish will be a disaster. When the masala is done, tip in the boiled beans, salt & the dry fruits (cashews, almonds, grated coconut and raisins). Cook for about 15-20 min more on slow fire.
If there is a will, there is a way. We (FFD) knew that if we could avoid the use of milk yogurt from it, this recipe would be a wonderful choice for diabetics. Hence we replaced the yogurt with vegan curd and it made all the difference! You too can modify recipes to make them good for health. FFD recipe blog section has a variety of diabetes-friendly recipes.
Join our Discover Reversal Session is an introductory session that helps you reverse your diabetes. The success number is soon going to reach 12,000 people free of diabetes medicines and insulin. Enroll your name and begin your Diabetes Reversal journey at once.